Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cambridge

I've been asked by a couple of people on the list to show them some pictures of Cambridge. Have you got a bit of time to spare? Let me invite you to a short tour. I'll use the photos I happen to have, Cambridge is a bit too far off to drive to and take special shots, so this will be a very idiosyncratic impression of one of the most beautiful cities in England that I know.















Photograph - 1958 - shows me wearing a mortar board, with my friend Alan, on graudation day. (I wonder what happened to him?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria Claudia Bellusci said...

Dennis,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "mortar board"? And then which one is you in the photo?
Claudia
P/S: It wouldn't be strange that Alan should come across this blog on the web and contacted you.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Claudia,

A mortar board is that square black hat siitting on top of my head in the photo. I didn't buy it, I hired it for the day.

I suppose there might be public schools (public = private and fee-paying) where mortar boards are still worn, but I rather doubt it.

In Cambridge and other English universities, though, they are still worn on official occasions, along with long gowns with lined hoods, the kind of lining depending on whether you are a B.A. an M.A or a doctor Ph.D.)

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home